Sunday, October 24, 2010

Jams!

You know I think that MTV has been reading my blog.  My health has been suffering a couple of setbacks this past week so I have been in complete chill mode until I could get back to my regular self.  I am back to my regular self and that is why the two blogs today.

If you have not already guessed by now..........I LOVE AND ADORE MUSIC.  So many times when I am in my chill time I just watch the videos and listen to a lot of Music Choice.  This past week I have noticed that MTV Jams has been playing a whole lot of Old School Hip Hop and R&B.  I have seen more Blackstreet this week than I've seen in a while.  I saw some 112 and some Mase, and moving their way into old school is B2K.  I saw "Uh Huh" and "Girlfriend".  Then when I was listening to Music Choice, I hear now that Raz B former member of B2K has his own single out.  And you know what.............ITS NOT HALF BAD! 

I am very happy to see that MTV Jams, an all hip hop video station, has begun to show those of us who think that Hip Hop began with Lil Wayne can begin to be enlightened to the fact hip hop has a long and lucrative history (Spiritually & Musically lucrative as well as financially) and so much can be learned from studying our past.  I am not saying ANYTHING about Lil Wayne as an artist or a business man...........I love him developing "Young Money" and passing his knowlege on to a younger generation.  All I am saying is that........as we who were there during the "Going Back To Cali" LL Cool J, we forget that there are those who thing of that as "Old People's Music." ( Yes I was just as shocked as you all are).  Time marches on so sweetly and quietly that many times we don't even realize that she has gone.  But "Going Back To Cali" was about 1990.  That was 20 years ago.  There are people who were born 5 years after "Going Back To Cali" Who have never even heard that song.

Try that fact on for size!

Time is a cruel friend.  It is the one thing that God is not making any more of. So many times if we are not present during a certain time. We have missed things.  So what am I saying. 

I am proud of MTV Jams for playing some of the older songs.  I want for the younger ones coming up now to know that music is not dead.  It can be anything that you want for it to be.  You don't have to turn yourself into what the label is looking for.  Because many times the label doesn't know what it wants until they see it. 

But I would really like to see the FUNK come back to our music.  Neo Soul is good.  R&B is good.  Hip Hop is good.  But FUNK............come on people Funk is the one thing that we posses in abundance!!!  Let's not get lost in the Ultra Black Eyed Peas and B.O.B world of today.  Let's remember that FUNK is our heritage and its okay to flex the FUNK every now and then. 

Now Imma say some songs and you just let the FUNK of those songs fall all over you and you will remember what I mean.

1.  I love it when you call me big POPPA!!!

2.  1,2, 3 and to the 4 Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at the Door

3.  I never seen a man cry till I seen that man die

4.  All I really want is to be Happy

5.  I like the way you work it no diggety

All I am saying is that FUNK is never out of season and its due season to bring some back because music is all beginning to sound like Pop and Rock.   Nothing wrong with Pop and Rock but the FUNK in R&B & Neo Soul and Hip Hop is fading.  Come back lover come back this is where you belong!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be sent to the author of this blog for verification. Your comment should appear within 48 hours. Okima Havis