Monday, February 28, 2011

NBA All Star Mentality

Please forgive me for being gone for a while.  But here I am.  And so many things have caught my eye since the last time that I written that I don't really know where to begin.  Well since its called NBA All Star mentality I am going to plant myself inside last weekends wonderful NBA All Star weekend. 

What I loved about the NBA weekend is the actual hardcore example to many things that I have been talking about in this blog.  The elder statesmen of the NBA are taking an active role in making sure that the up and coming players understand what it really means to be in the NBA.  It was couldn't have been more evident than in the Slam Dunk contest this year.  

First of all they had retired but yet still viable judges like Clyde Drexler and Dominique Wilkins ( people who not only know about the NBA but the slam dunk contest itself).  Now in my opinion the contest lost a little of its bling in the last couple of years.  I mean Love Dwight Howard and all of that.  But there was just something missing.  And Kenny Smith showed us what it was. As Kenny Smith (NBA broadcaster for TNT and ex Houston Rocket) introduced the BIG GAME WINNING DUNK by Blake Griffin, Kenny boldly stated "Oh we are bringing the pageantry to the dunk contest."  And Blake Griffin did just that.  They rolled out a car onto the court and on the first try Blake dunked over the car.  Now honestly it wasn't the most amazing dunk that I have even seen in and of itself.  BUT..............the pageantry the went into make it EXCITING.  Kenny Smith brought out a black gospel choir to sing "I Believe I Can Fly" while a car was being slowing driven out on the court.  All of this in anticipation for Blake Griffin's dunk.  And it worked!  Blake Griffin has the athleticism and power and Kenny brought the pageantry confidence and trash talk.   I loved it. 

Look I know that these rookie and sophomore players are part of the NBA and have been playing basketball their whole lives.  BUT....................NOTHING takes the place of experience and seasoning.  When these rookies and sophomore players go out there to compete in these contests.  They understand that they are going under the microscope and are being compared to Dr. J, Dominique Wilkins, Spudd Webb, and Jordan.  They HAS to be intimidating.  So what the NBA did this year is they utilized the name of the Chris Webber, Darryl Dawkins, & Kenny Smith to act as mentors and hype men to their younger counterparts. I also loved how the allowed for Dwight Howard to sit this one out and be one of the broadcasters along with the great Charles Barkley and the legendary Reggie Miller. 

The blending of the old with the new.  I love the fact that the elder statesmen of the NBA are teaching the younger guys how to carry the torch.  And I love that the newer guys are letting them.  That is how you build a successful legacy for your industry.  That is what needs to be happening on the neighborhood and community level all the way the executive level of our government. 

I totally respect how Dr. Dre and Sean Combs are coming back reclaim their place in the music industry.  We all know that Puffy, aka Puff Daddy, aka P. Diddy, aka Diddy, aka Sean Combs has produced some great talent.  He may not be the greatest MC or an MC at all.........but he IS an entertainer and producer.  Keep doing what you are good at Sean..........believe it or not the music industry needs you.  You have been one of the architects of black music in the 90s.  It's okay to ride that until it dies!  And Dr. Dre????  Baby bye........I have been a DIE HARD fan since "Dope Man".  Again Dre.........we know that you are not the greatest rapper.  But we love you for how you do you and can find that spark of greatness in others.  Come on back strong and take your place!  Don't leave it all on Lil Wayne and Jay Z.  There is room for you all. 


I saw a video this weekend with Diddy DM ( Sean Combs come on ya'll keep up. ) and Chris Brown.  Diddy is rapping a few lines but for the most part he has Chris Brown singing a love song!  And I love it.  Most of us have heard "Deuces" and its a lovely number.  But Diddy has allowed Chris to find the gentler side of the break up.  The side that women melt over..............THE MALE SENSITIVE SIDE! See only a producer like Diddy can look into Chris and pull out the sensitive side and NOT make Chris a soft sucka.  You know ladies like a sensitive thug who needs a hug? 

But any way.  All I am saying is that we need to continue to have an NBA All Star mentality.  See I am in a middle road in my life.  I can no longer but shrugged off as a youngster...........which I am actually happy about.  BUT............I still have enough juice in me that I am not where NEAR retirement.  I can still learn something.  But I have enough experience that I can teach about my experiences and the greatness that I have already achieved.  And you can do it too.  And together we can build a stronger community for our children so that they will stop shooting and killing each other over nothing.  We have to give them something to live for so that they will understand that dying and killing over trash talk is a waste.

Let me know that you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be sent to the author of this blog for verification. Your comment should appear within 48 hours. Okima Havis